Bachelor of Food Technology (Hons) (MQA/PA4985) is a 4 years programme that has received Provisional Accreditation by Malaysian Qualification Agency since February 2015. The curriculum has been designed to encompass various essential aspects in food technology field such as chemistry, microbiology, processing, preservation, engineering, packaging, food products development, sensory, safety, nutrition, quality, legislation as well as halal knowledge in Malaysia and worldwide.
The programme also emphasizes on the laboratory skills where students will be able to utilize well-equipped and advanced laboratories such as Food Microbiology Labs, Food Analysis Labs, Food Sensory Lab, Food Packaging Lab and Food Processing Labs. Furthermore, the students of this programme will be trained in the industry during their last semester in order to enhance the understanding between theories and practices applied in the food industry.
This program prepares students for work in a broad range of roles in the food industry, especially the food industry at Tanjung Manis Halal Hub (SCORE) Sarawak which might have become the largest Halal Hub in the country according to the state government. As such, the demand for food scientists and technologists would be strikingly high as they are the workforce that spearhead the development of the food industries of the nation. Due to high consumer demands for safe, high quality and innovative food products, graduates in the Food Technology programme have great potentials for the technical or executive positions in the food based and nutraceuticals industries either in the government, semi-government or the private sectors, as well as in teaching and research.
- To produce graduates with strong competency in Food Science and Technology, capable of fulfilling their professional demands to highly competitive global food markets with confidence, outstanding ethical and values.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
The objectives of the programme are stated as follows:
- Graduates with good level of knowledge and competency skills will be employed or self-employed in food industries and relevant fields. With appropriate attitudes will enable them to have successful career.
- Graduates will acquire abilities for effective communication, collaborative working in diverse teams, and continual development through professional involvement.
- Graduates will pursue lifelong learning in order to contribute to the advancement of the Food science and technology professions and related contemporary issues.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
- To apply the knowledge of mathematics, science and food science technology fundamentals
- To conduct experimental investigations of broadly defined problems using data from relevant sources
- To apply appropriate techniques, resources and modern tools for new food development
- To solve broadly defined food technology problems using analytical tools appropriate to area of specialization
- To develop solutions for broadly defined problems and contribute to the design of systems, components or processes related to food technology for sustainable development
- To communicate effectively with the food technology community and society
- To demonstrate awareness of the societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities and norms of food technology practice
- To function effectively as an individual, and as a member and/or leader in diverse technical teams
- To comply with professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of food technology practice
- To identify basics and opportunities in entrepreneurship related to food technology practice
- To recognize the impact of food technology solutions in a societal context for sustainable development
- To recognize the requirements for the need of professional development in independent and lifelong learning
Graduates of this programme will be employed or self-employed in various food industries or private sectors and relevant fields including research institutions and government agencies. This may be interpreted into various positions such as Food Technology/Manufacturing Officer, Food Technology Lab Manager, Food Quality Supervisor/Officer, Quality Assurance Inspector, Food Production Supervisor, Food Marketing Consultant/Officer, Halal Food Superintendent, Food Entrepreneur, Executive of Food Product Development, Researcher Officer, Science Officer, and etc.
Duration of Study
- STPM or GCE “A” Level: Pass/CGPA 2.0 and credits (Mathematics & 1 Science subject) in SPM
- UEC: 5 Grade B
- Foundation / Matriculation in Science or equivalent: minimum CGPA 2.0
- Diploma or equivalent: minimum CGPA 2.0
- Any other equivalent qualifications which are recognised by Malaysian Government, and approved by University Senate.
|Tuition Fees (subject to change)|
|Click here to view the tuition fees.|
Study loans are available from PTPTN. The tuition fees above are only applicable to local / Malaysian students. For more details and information, please contact our Marketing Office at (+6) 084-367300 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.