[N/521/6/0145] [9/21] [MQA/PA8501]
The Bachelor of Manufacturing Engineering (Hons) is offered under the School of Engineering and Technology.
Manufacturing engineering is a discipline of engineering dealing with various manufacturing sciences and practices including the research, design and development of systems, processes, machines, tools, and equipment. The manufacturing engineer’s primary focus is to turn raw materials into a new or updated product in the most economic, efficient, and effective way possible.
Manufacturing engineers develop and create physical artifacts, production processes, and technology. It is a very broad area which includes the design and development of products. Manufacturing engineering is considered to be a sub discipline of industrial engineering/systems engineering and has very strong overlaps with mechanical engineering. Manufacturing engineers’ success or failure directly impacts the advancement of technology and the spread of innovation.
Besides offering these degree programmes, the school will also embark on Research and Development (R&D) activities, particularly in the infrastructures engineering, environmental and renewable energy, in line with the Sarawak Corridor for Renewable Energy (SCORE) focusing on development areas. The R&D activities are also part of staff development plan and University-Industry Linkages.
To produce Manufacturing engineers capable of fulfilling their professional demands in highly competitive global market with confidence, outstanding ethical and moral values.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- Graduates shall be employed in Manufacturing and relevant engineering fields. Having good level of knowledge, competency skills and appropriate attitude shall enable them to have successful career.
- Graduates shall acquire the abilities for effective communication, collaborative working in diverse teams, and continual development through professional involvement.
- Graduates shall pursue lifelong learning in order to contribute to the advancement of the Manufacturing Engineering professions and related contemporary issues.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
The outcomes of the twelve (12) main aspects are summarized as below:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, sciences and Manufacturing engineering fundamentals
- Ability to identify, formulate and analyse complex engineering problems creatively and innovatively
- Ability to develop and design solutions or processes using integrated & interdisciplinary approaches
- Ability to use the advance techniques, competent skills, appropriate methods and tools to implement engineering development
- Ability to identify design principles for efficiency, health & safety, and sustainable development
- Ability to conduct professional and ethical responsibilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with the engineering community and the society at large
- Ability to function effectively both as an individual and in a group in the capacity of a leader or a team member
- Identify basics and opportunities in entrepreneurship related to engineering practices
- Ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyse and interpret data
- Ability to engage in lifelong learning
- Ability to describe the impact of engineering solution in societal, cultural, global & environmental context
Demand of Manufacturing Engineers
- Industries that are in need of Manufacturing engineers span various industries including oil and gas industries, petrochemical industries, manufacturing industries, maintenance industries and marine engineering works industries.
- In addition to the needs for Manufacturing engineers in the aforementioned industries, the implementation of Sarawak Corridor of Renewal Energy (SCORE) has spurred the demand for Manufacturing engineers. The current supplies of Manufacturing engineers are insufficient, and in some sectors there are high demands for graduates in this field.
- The companies involved are the private agencies which have the interest and needs for engineers in oil and gas, manufacturing, services and maintenance, marine and others.
- The programme is capable in producing graduates to meet the job market. The subjects offered are relevant and contributing to the strength of the programme, meeting the basic concepts and theories of related fields and developing in analytical skills.
The Bachelor of Manufacturing Engineering (Hons) has fulfilled the provisional requirement by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and Engineering Accreditation Council (EAC) which allows graduates to be recognised as practising engineers under the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM).
Duration of Study
Careers in Manufacturing Engineering
As manufacturing require materials, these elements can be the supporting part for the manufacturing areas. As the programme would like to cover most of the industries covered in SCORE and the others, the phrase ‘any related industries’ is added so as to capture the industry segment as a whole. Thus, the followings are the specialization:
- Marine Engineering
- Aluminium Industry
- Glass Industry
- Oil Based Industry
- Steel Industry
- Palm Oil Industry
- any related industries
Programme Structure and Synopsis
- Pass STPM or GCE ‘A’ Level with Grade C (CGPA 2.0) in Mathematics & one (1) relevant Science subject and Pass English in SPM / ‘0’ Level ; or
- Pass UEC with five (5) Grade B’s (including Mathematics & 1 relevant Science subject) ; or
- Pass Matriculation / Foundation / Diploma with minimum CGPA 2.0 ; or
- Pass Vocational & Technical Skills Diploma with minimum CGPA 2.0 and Pass English in SPM ; or
- Other equivalent qualifications which are recognised by the Malaysian Government
|Tuition Fees (subject to change)|
|Click here to view the tuition fees.|
Study loans are available from PTPTN. The tuition fees above are only applicable to local / Malaysian students. For more details and information, please contact our Marketing Office at (+6) 084-367300 or email to [email protected]