[N/521/6/0084] [6/19] [MQA/PA9349]
Wood Products Processing is concerned with the responsible development of products, processes, properties and products designs, whether at the model or at the actual scale. Knowledge in wood properties, processing techniques, machining skills, etc. are needed at some stages during conception, design, development, and manufacture of every wood or non-wood forest products production. Apart from that, knowledge in forest economics and environmental aspect plays an important role in sustaining the Wood Products Processing industry.
A successful career in the Wood Products Processing industry involves the efficient application of lignocellulosic materials and human resources by taking into account their impacts on the community and environment. The Wood Products Processing programme in UCTS is designed in combination of the basic knowledge of timber species, logs harvesting, processing, properties, machining, designs, and economics aspect.
Graduates in this area are capable of fulfilling the task of a technologist in the government, semi-government, and private firms. Graduates will be able to find job opportunities in various sectors such as wood manufacturing, processing, consultant, servicing, design, and research.
- To create alumni with broad technical knowledge and associated hands-on skills to fulfill their professional demands in highly competitive global market with confidence, outstanding ethical and moral values.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- Graduates will use the latest knowledge and techniques of engineering technology to solve engineering technology problems creatively and innovatively.
- Graduates will have potential of strong leadership, management and teamwork skills, and be able to communicate effectively in diverse teams.
- Graduates will embody a commitment to professional ethics, diversity and social awareness in their professional careers, and able to continue learning independently in the acquisition of new knowledge and skills.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
At the end of the programme, graduates should be able to:
1. Apply knowledge of wood science and technology in forestry/forest products industry
2. Solve wood-based industry problems systematically using appropriate methods and techniques
3. Apply systematic approach in activities related to forestry/forest products industry
4. Select and apply techniques, resources and modern equipment/tools with an understanding of their limitations
5. Plan and conduct experiment to investigate problems using data from relevant sources
6. Function effectively as individuals, and as members or leaders in diverse technical teams
7. Communicate effectively with the forestry/forest products community and society at large
8. Demonstrate an awareness of management, business practices and entrepreneurship
9. Demonstrate an awareness of and consideration for societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and their consequent responsibilities
10. Demonstrate an understanding of professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of wood science and technology practices
11. Appreciate the impact of sustainable development in wood science and technology practices
12. Recognise the need for professional development and to engage in independent and lifelong learning
Duration of Study
Wood Products Processing graduates may further their careers into THREE (3) main categories as WOOD SCIENTISTS, WOOD TECHNOLOGISTS and WOOD PRODUCTS TECHNICIANS. Apart from that, they may also work as Wood Consultants, Wood Chemists, Wood Operators, Environmentalists, Wood/Forest Economists, Instructors, teachers, Entrepreneurs, etc.
Programme Structure and Synopsis
• Pass STPM or its equivalent with minimum Grade C (CGPA 2.00) in Biology or Physics and ONE (1) relevant Science/Mathematics subject AND Pass SPM or its equivalent with at least a pass in English; OR
• Pass GCE ‘A’ Level or its equivalent with minimum Grade C (CGPA 2.00) in Biology or Physics and ONE (1) relevant Science/Mathematics subject; OR
• MQA accredited foundation programme or equivalent with minimum CGPA 2.00; OR
• Recognised Diploma in FORESTRY or WOOD TECHNOLOGY or WOOD-BASED Technology or its equivalent with minimum CGPA 2.00; OR
• Recognised related Vocational and Technical / Skills Diploma with minimum CGPA 2.00 AND pass SPM with Grade C in Biology and a pass in English; OR
• Unified Examination Certification recognised by the University Senate OR
• Any other certification recognised by the University Senate AND
• For International student, Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must pass with a score of 500 or International English Language Testing (IELTS) with a score of 5.0 or its equivalent. In the event that the student did not meet the criteria, Higher Educational Provider has to offer English course to ensure the student proficiency to meet the needs of programme. This is usually done through evaluation process.
Please contact us at Tel: (+6) 084-367300.
Study loans are available from PTPTN. The tuition fees above are only applicable to local / Malaysian students. For more details and information, please contact our Marketing Office at (+6) 084-367300 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.