[N/521/6/0084] [6/19] [MQA/PA9349]
Wood Products Processing is for the responsible development of products, processes, properties and products design, whether at the model or the actual scale. Knowledge of wood properties, processing technique, machining skills, etc. is needed at some stages during conception, design, development, and manufacture of every wood or non-wood forest products production. Apart from that, knowledge in forest economics and environment aspect plays a crucial role in sustaining the Wood Products Processing industries.
A successful career in the Wood Products Processing industry involves the efficient application of lignocellulosic materials and human resources by taking into account their impacts on the community and environment. The Wood Products Processing programme in UCTS is designed in the combination of the basic knowledge of timber species, log harvesting, processing, properties machining, designs, and economics aspect.
Graduates in this area are capable of fulfilling the task of a technologist in the government, semi-government, and private firms. Graduates will be able to find job opportunities in various sectors such as wood manufacturing, processing, consultant, servicing, design and research.
To create graduates with broad technical of wood processing knowledge and associated with hands-on skills to fulfill their professional demands in the highly competitive global market with confidence, outstanding ethical and moral values.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- Graduates will use the latest knowledge and techniques of engineering technology to solve engineering technology problems creatively and innovatively.
- Graduates will have potential of strong leadership, management and teamwork skills, and be able to communicate effectively in diverse teams.
- Graduates will embody a commitment to professional ethics, diversity and social awareness in their professional careers, and able to continue learning independently in the acquisition of new knowledge and skills.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
At the end of the programme, graduates should be able to:
1. Apply knowledge of wood science and technology in forestry/forest products industry.
2. Solve wood-based industry problems systematically using appropriate methods and techniques.
3. Apply systematic approach to activities related to forestry/forest products industry.
4. Select and apply techniques, resources and modern equipment/tools which is related to forestry/forest products industry with an understanding of their limitations instead.
5. Planning and experimenting to investigate problems using data from relevant sources.
6. Efficiently function as individuals, and as members or leaders in diverse technical teams.
7. Communicate effectively with the forestry/forest products community and society at large.
8. Demonstrate an awareness of management, business practices and entrepreneurship.
9. Demonstrate an awareness of consideration for societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and their consequent responsibilities.
10. Demonstrate an understanding of professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of wood science and technology practices.
11. Appreciate the impact of sustainable development in wood science and technology practices.
12. Recognise the need for professional development to engage lifelong learning independently.
Duration of Study
Wood Products Processing graduates may further their careers into THREE (3) main categories as WOOD SCIENTISTS, WOOD TECHNOLOGISTS and WOOD PRODUCTS TECHNICIANS. Apart from that, they may also work as Wood Consultants, Wood Chemists, Wood Operators, Environmentalists, Wood/Forest Economists, Instructors, teachers, Entrepreneurs, etc.
Programme Structure and Synopsis
• Pass STPM or its equivalent with minimum Grade C (CGPA 2.00) in Biology or Physics and ONE (1) relevant Science/Mathematics subject AND Pass SPM or its equivalent with at least a pass in English; OR
• Pass GCE ‘A’ Level or its equivalent with minimum Grade C (CGPA 2.00) in Biology or Physics and ONE (1) relevant Science/Mathematics subject; OR
• MQA accredited foundation programme or equivalent with minimum CGPA 2.00; OR
• Recognised Diploma in FORESTRY or WOOD TECHNOLOGY or WOOD-BASED Technology or its equivalent with minimum CGPA 2.00; OR
• Recognised related Vocational and Technical / Skills Diploma with minimum CGPA 2.00 AND pass SPM with Grade C in Biology and a pass in English; OR
• Unified Examination Certification recognised by the University Senate OR
• Any other certification recognised by the University Senate AND
• For International student, Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must pass with a score of 500 or International English Language Testing (IELTS) with a score of 5.0 or its equivalent. In the event that the student did not meet the criteria, Higher Educational Provider has to offer English course to ensure the student proficiency to meet the needs of programme. This is usually done through evaluation process.
For information about tuition fees, please contact our Marketing Office at (+6) 084-367300 or email to [email protected]
Study loans are available from PTPTN. Scholarships are available for students with a few conditions.
For more details and information regarding student loans and scholarship, please contact our Marketing Office at (+6) 084-367300 or email to [email protected]