The University College of Technology Sarawak (UCTS) Students Council is the official student body of UCTS. Also known as Majlis Perwakilan Pelajar (MPP), it functions as a medium to represent students’ interests in the University. It acts as the voice of students and engagement (in non-academic matters only) in the higher education, and provides direct services to the students.
Student Council 2017/2018
President – Jong Lung Sin
Vice President – Winston Wong Jing Kai
Secretary – Wong Jia Yii
Treasurer – Jessie Wong Yen Hee
Information and Publication – Chai Chung Yee & Wilson Mujang Anak Nyuwak
Social & Welfare – Ting Ding Chai & Goh Zheng Feng
Sports & Recreation – Alvin Tang Shin Zhe & John Wong Kiong Seng
Structure and Hierarchy
The council members are democratically elected through the process below:
– Nomination forms are distributed to students.
– Each student can nominate any student for one of these designations (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Information & Publication, Social & Welfare, and Sports & Recreational).
ii. Screening by Management
– All nominated candidates are screened to ensure compliance with minimum requirement to become student council.
iii. Student Council Campaign
– Candidates are allowed to use poster, mini theatre, equipment and etc. to promote themselves.
– All students can vote for their favourite candidates.
– Winning candidates shall sit in the student council and serve for two (2) academic years as stipulated by the University.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Student Council
– To officially represent all students in the University
– To identify and help solving problems encountered by students in the University
– To act as a liaison between students and SDSD
– To organize fund raising campaigns and charitable activities for students
– To organize educational and recreational activities for students
– To contribute to overall University development by promoting and encouraging the involvement of students in activities
– To maintain good relationship (out of mutual respect) with the respective schools’ academic staff and parents
- School Representative
– To assist academic staff in disseminating information to students of their respective schools
– To assist staff in collecting information or data from students of their respective schools
– To serve as an intermediary between students and respective HOP or Dean.
– To report students’ academic problems to relevant authority.
Check out student council’s activities on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/UCTSStudentCouncilOFFICIAL/. You may email to email@example.com for further details.