[N/541/6/0023] [8/19] [MQA/FA4985]
Programme Overview | 中文
Bachelor of Food Technology (Hons) is a 4-year programme that has received Full Accreditation by Malaysian Qualification Agency. The curriculum has been designed to encompass various essential aspects in food technology field such as chemistry, microbiology, processing, preservation, engineering, packaging, food products development, sensory, safety, nutrition, quality, legislation as well as halal knowledge in Malaysia and worldwide.
The programme also emphasizes on the laboratory skills where students will be able to utilize well-equipped and advanced laboratories such as Food Microbiology Labs, Food Analysis Labs, Food Sensory Lab, Food Packaging Lab and Food Processing Labs. Furthermore, the students of this programme will be trained in the industry during their last semester in order to enhance the understanding between theories and practices applied in the food industry.
This programme prepares students for work in a broad range of roles in the food industry, especially the food industry at Tanjung Manis Halal Hub (SCORE) Sarawak which might have become the largest Halal Hub in the country according to the state government. As such, the demand for food scientists and technologists would be strikingly high as they are the workforce that spearhead the development of the food industries of the nation. Due to high consumer demands for safe, high quality and innovative food products, graduates in the Food Technology programme have great potentials for the technical or executive positions in the food based and nutraceuticals industries either in the government, semi-government or the private sectors, as well as in teaching and research.
- To produce Food Scientist and Technologist capable of fulfilling their professional demands in highly competitive global market with confidence, outstanding ethical and moral values.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
The objectives of the programme are stated as follows:
- Graduates will be employed or self-employed in food industries and relevant field with good level of knowledge and competency skills with appropriate attitude enabling them to have successful career.
- Graduates will acquire abilities for effective communication, collaborative working in diverse teams, and continual development through professional involvement.
- Graduates will pursue lifelong learning in order to contribute to the advancement of the Food science and technology professions and related contemporary issues.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
- Apply the knowledge and understanding of the food sciences and technology
- Conduct experimental investigations of broadly defined problems using data and/or tools from relevant sources
- Demonstrate awareness on the ethics, social/cultural skills and the consequent responsibilities as food technologist
- Demonstrate awareness on the values, attitudes and professionalism in food technologist practices (health, safety, legal issues, etc.)
- Possess communication, leadership and team skills within the industry, community and society
- Possess problems solving and scientific skills using appropriate resources and/or technology
- Demonstrate an awareness on the information management and the requirements for the need of professional development in independent and lifelong learning
- Demonstrate an awareness on the business practices, managerial skills, technopreneurial competencies as well as identify business opportunities
Graduates of this programme will be employed or self-employed in various food industries or private sectors and relevant fields including research institutions and government agencies. This may be interpreted into various positions such as Food Technology/Manufacturing Officer, Food Technology Lab Manager, Food Quality Supervisor/Officer, Quality Assurance Inspector, Food Production Supervisor, Food Marketing Consultant/Officer, Halal Food Superintendent, Food Entrepreneur, Executive of Food Product Development, Researcher Officer, Science Officer, and etc.
Duration of Study
- Pass STPM / A-level with credits in Mathematics and Science at SPM level; or
- Pass UEC with five (5) Grade B’s; or
- Pass Matriculation / Pre-U / Foundation in Science from recognised institutions with minimum CGPA 2.0; or
- Pass Diploma in related field from recognised institutions with minimum CGPA 2.0; or
- Other equivalent qualifications recognised by the Malaysian Government
|Tuition Fees (subject to change)|
|Click here to view the tuition fees.|
Study loans are available from PTPTN. The tuition fees above are only applicable to local / Malaysian students. For more details and information, please contact our Marketing Office at (+6) 084-367300 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.