[N/545/6/0100] [MQA/PA 9400]
A new programme, Bachelor of Industrial Chemistry (Honours) is offered under School of Engineering and Technology. It is a 4-year undergraduate programme. Industrial Chemistry is an applied chemistry field that incorporates the areas of physical, organic, inorganic and analytical chemistry. This programme is designed to produce industrial chemists capable of fulfilling their professional demands in highly competitive global market with confidence, outstanding ethical and moral values. Graduates will be able to work in various industries and relevant fields such as oil and gas, metals, plastics, oil palm, pharmaceutical and research institutions. Graduates will have the opportunities to register as chemists under the Malaysian Institute of Chemistry (IKM). This programme has been approved by the Ministry of Education [Ref: N/545/6/0100] and given provisional accreditation by the Malaysian Qualification Agency [Ref: MQA/PA 9400].
- To produce industrial chemists capable of fulfilling their professional demands in highly competitive global market with confidence, outstanding ethical and moral values.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- Graduates will be employed or self-employed in relevant industries. Good level of knowledge and competency skills with appropriate attitudes will enable them to have successful careers.
- Graduates will demonstrate leadership, management and teamwork skills and also able to communicate effectively in diverse teams.
- Graduates will pursue lifelong learning in order to contribute to the advancement of chemistry and technology professions and related contemporary issues.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
At the end of the programme, graduates should be able to:
- Apply the knowledge and understanding in solving chemical sciences fundamentals.
- Conduct experimental investigations of broadly defined problems using data from relevant sources.
- Possess chemistry problem solving ability by utilizing analytical tools appropriate in the area of specialization.
- Communicate effectively with the industry, community and society.
- Demonstrate awareness of the societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities and norms of industrial chemistry practices.
- Function effectively as an individual, and as a member and/or leader in diverse technical teams.
- Comply with professional ethics, responsibilities and obligations to the society.
- Demonstrate an awareness of management, business practices, and technopreneurial competencies, as well as identify business opportunities.
- Recognize the needs for the requirement of professional development independently and lifelong learning.
Careers in Industrial Chemistry
Graduates from this programme will have the opportunity to register as chemists under the Malaysian Institute of Chemistry (IKM). They will be able to work in various industries and relevant fields such as oil and gas, metals, plastics, oil palm, pharmaceuticals and research institutions as
- Industrial Chemist
- Laboratory Chemist
- R&D Chemist/Officer
- Production Chemist
- Product Development Chemist
- QA/QC Executive
- Laboratory Analyst
- Chemical Technologist
- Laboratory Manager
- Science Officer
Programme Structure and Synopsis
- Pass STPM or its equivalent with minimum Grade C (CGPA 2.00) in Chemistry and ONE (1) relevant Science subject; AND
- Pass SPM or its equivalent with at least a pass in English; OR
- Pass GCE ‘A’ Level or its equivalent with minimum Grade C (CGPA 2.00) in Chemistry and ONE (1) relevant Science subject; OR
- MQA accredited foundation programme or equivalent with minimum CGPA 2.00; OR
- Recognised Diploma in Chemistry / Chemical Engineering or its equivalent with minimum CGPA 2.00; OR
- Recognised related Vocational and Technical / Skills Diploma with minimum CGPA 2.00 AND
- Pass SPM with Grade C in Chemistry and a pass in English; OR
- UEC: 5 Grade B; OR
- Any other equivalent qualifications which are recognised by Malaysian Government, and approved by University Senate.
- For international student, he/she must pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of 500; or International English Language Testing (IELTS) with a score of 5.0 or its equivalent. In the event that the student does not meet the criteria, Higher Educational Provider has to offer English as a course to the student to ensure the student’s proficiency in English can meet the requirement of the programme. This is usually done through evaluation process.
Tuition Fees (subject to change)
Click here to view the tuition fees.
Study loans are available from PTPTN. The tuition fees above are only applicable to local / Malaysian students. For more details and information, please contact our Marketing Office at (+6) 084-367300 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.